Baja Peninsula 6

 Building a wheel. 

Some weeks ago, my non-servicable front hub developed play in the bearings. I decided to buy a new, more durable hub, and get a warranty/refund on the old one. The new hub arrived while I was in Todos Santos with Fred and Jenny, so I rode back to La Paz to to get it.

In La Paz, I stayed at the home of Mario, the kayak guide. He was not at home; busy guiding kayak trips.

Playing my record in Mario's house was fun. I've started trying to play some Telemann Sonatas. The lowest note my instrument plays is an F. Some of the Sonatas have a low D note. I play it an octave higher and it sounds OK. 

After lacing the wheel, I took it to Mario's nephew's house to use an air compressor and truing stand. 

Mario's nephew's girlfriend is a vet, but she works in a lab, making probiotics to feed to shrimp. She made food and we enjoyed a meal together after I finished using the bike tools. Mario's nephew's house painter was also there. He lived in Mexico City for most of his life, but prefers La Paz. We talked about bikes. I would have liked to get to know him better. 

When I re-installed the old tire, there were many of these large thorns embedded in it. I don't plan on removing them. Thank you sealant. 

Thank you Mario. Thank you Mario's Nephew. Thank you Mario's nephew's girlfriend. Thank you Mario's nephew's house painter. I like to think that gratitude isn't diluted by expressing it to many people. 

The old hub had a buildup of ferrous dust along the magnets inside.

La Paz evening singletrack.

La Paz evening sky. 

La Paz evening hot dog stand.

I thought: I should try a hot dog here to see how it compares to hot dogs in the US. But I don't actually go to hot dog stands in the US. It was pretty good. 

Over a month ago, I met another cyclist Ray, on the Baja Divide route.

Here is a picture of Ray just before boarding the Ferry to Mazatlán. 

Estoy en el ferry a Mazatlán ahora. Estoy emocionado y tengo un poco miedo de Sinaloa. Voy a montar con Ray por unos días, o más. Él también quiere empezar en Sinaloa con un otro ciclista. 

Ray. En su vida Ray vivió en varios estados en los estados unidos. Alaska, Colorado, Louisiana. En Louisiana, Ray vivió en Treme, New Orleans como la programa de tele. Ray empezó en California y también quiere ir a Argentina. Antes de este viaja montó su bici en sudeste de Asia. Vamos a compartir nuestros libros. Terminé "Where the Crawdads Sing" el otro semana. Para mí, Ray tiene un libro se llama "Cabin An Alaskan Wilderness Dream".

Comments

  1. This shared journey is keeping me feeling young for at least a part of the day. With the hub replaced, your trochilic adventures can continue. I will enjoyed riding along. Nanu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts