Venezuelan until proven innocent

Percy cooks us lunch

19 February 2024 Day 465

Cycling alone again now. I miss company, but solo bike touring is the ultimate freedom.


Sometimes there are nice dogs to keep me company:


For your viewing pleasure:


21 February 2024 Day 467


All uphill today. And just like that I'm back in the mountains! Peruvian Andes.



22 February 2024 Day 468

Couldn't find wild camping, so I got permission from the police to camp in the town square. The local kids were adorable and super annoying. They constantly asked me questions like:

"are there things in America?"
"Ummm, yes. There are cars and roads and people and food"
"what else?"
"are you a bad person in America?" "How much do Takis chips cost in Mexico?"
"How much money do you have in total"

They were touching and knocking over all my stuff while I tried to cook dinner.

Town square before being swarmed by adorable and insufferable kids.

24 February 2024 Day 470

I hiked to a huge cave with deafening birds and bats today.


Local kids pestered me in an endearing way while I tried to use the public wifi.

Mud bricks out to dry.

Typical moto-taxi decorations.

In the evening I couldn't find wild camping, and I got invited in for dinner:


Then a different local person offered me a spare room. Thank you.


The next day I searched for a special viewpoint and got invited in by another local family.

I arrived cold and wet and it must have been obvious because they ushered me inside and draped a poncho over my head.


Their mud house with a mud floor and a wood fire had wifi. Thank you for the food and hospitality.

Kid on my bicycle the next morning.

 

26 February 2024 Day 472

The family I stayed with last night gave me a ton of potatoes. So I made french fries and did some sewing in the tent.

I made a "gas tank" bag for my bicycle with dental floss and some scrap fabric:


27 February 2024 Day 473

Most big trucks in Peru feature intracite religious artwork like this.

The first time I saw this policital logo, I thought it was a poorly drawn cowboy hat.

But it's actually a different style of hat, which is super common here:


For your viewing pleasure:


04 March 2024 Day 479

In rural communities here, there is something called the Ronda. The ronda is a community-organized security force that patrols at night, for crime prevention.

"Ronda" translates to "round". So they do "rounds" at night.

When I'm camp in or near a community, they usually come by in the evening to see who I am and what I'm up to. Often they request my identification documents.

Fantastic church

09 March 2024 Day 484

Cajamarca

I left Cajamarca along a route from bikepacking.com.

The town of "Jesus" had this awesome mural:


After a few days I deviated from the bikepacking route because I was tired of hearing "hey gringo!" constantly, and there was a waterfall I wanted to visit.

I was climbing a steep gravel road in the late afternoon, when I stopped for a break. The curious but quiet kids said that it would be "tranquillo" to camp here, so I started cooking dinner, figuring I'd just camp on the roadside. The kids said there was "ronda", so I thought the area was safe from crime.

A man exiting the bushes, onto the road, told me it's prohibited. I was confused, and he was very aggressive. What is prohibited? I asked.

He said I had to go back down to the highway. He said I had to leave. He said the ronda will come. He mentioned a punishment.

He was very aggressive and said the ronda was coming and I needed to leave now. 

While cooking my rice, I calmly explained who I was (American tourist) and what I was doing (traveling by bicycle, looking for waterfalls, left Cajamarca two days ago).

They asked me why I was there and I explained again.

He lied that there were no waterfalls. He lied that this road was a dead end.

He talked about whipping as a punishment for me - the people that live here are very fierce, and they do not like foreigners.

Perhaps they dislike Americans specifically, I wondered. The USA does have a history of fucking with foreign nations. But most latin Americans I've met seem to have a positive impression of the USA.

He talked on the phone with someone as I quickly finished cooking my rice and packed away my stove.

I asked where I could camp. Is it permissible to camp further down the road towards the highway?

He said the ronda was coming and I said that I would like to speak with them, I would like to speak with an authority.

He said I needed to leave and go back to the highway.

I was packing up my things and about to leave.

Then the ronda arrived. They were somewhat aggressive at first and I calmly explained my situation again. After 5-10 minutes of answering questions, explaining what my passport meant and why I don't have an additional identification card, and that I don't understand everything they're saying in spanish, and that I'm from the united states, and that I came looking for the waterfalls, the ronda said

"oh, so you're not from peru?"
"No. I am not from here."

I said I would go now, I'm clearly not welcome and don't want to cause any problems.

They gave me permission to stay.

As they led me toward a better campsite, the ronda explained that they had received a report of a Venezuelan cooking on the roadside. I think the call was from the aggressive man who was threatening me about a whipping.

Anti-Venezuelan sentiment is prevalent here.

If that man thought I was a Venezuelan, he must have not heard, not understand, or not believed any of my story.

I felt disgusted, thankful, and sad.

It reminded me of this video from The Onion:

Judge rules white girl will be tried as black adult


For your viewing pleasure:




Comments

  1. Glad to see you continuing your adventure. The videos really compliment the writing. It's fun to see the world through your eyes. What keeps you going? Seems like everyday a challenge. When do you relax?! And how well do you sleep in all these different locations.
    -Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce, I'm so glad you like my blog and videos! What keeps me going? Curiosity, limited visa time, determination, lack of stable housing, impatience. Many days are a challenge, and many days are an inspiration to me, as well. My most relaxing moments are when I have a comfortable wild campsite in complete solitude, with no internet. I've been getting more of these in Peru, and it's really nice! Usually, I sleep in my tent! So once I'm inside, it's almost like I'm in the same location every night. But finding a place for the tent every night is a daily obstacle. Recently I've been able to afford paid accommodations a little bit more, because it's ~10× cheaper here in Peru than in the USA. How well I sleep mostly depends on whether I stay up late on my phone, so no electricity and no wifi is good for this. I usually sleep really well when I'm wild camping - 9+ hours, although heavy rain, extreme cold or heat and bumpy sleeping surfaces can impede this.

      I hope your doing well. How is Simon?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts