Making the most of shipping delays

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

21 Dec: Ordered some new bike tires online to be shipped to Borrego Springs, a week further along my route.

ETA was given as 24 Dec.

24 Dec: ETA changed to 27th. No suprise, because of busy holiday shipping.

27 Dec: I arrive in Borrego Springs, ready to pick up my new tires. I check the tracking information: "An ETA will be provided as soon as possible."

Ok now that's not a good sign. 

I wait for a day and go on a day ride. Still no ETA. 

I make some phone calls. Sounds like the best course of action is to ride my bike all the way into San Diego to pick up my tires from a UPS facility. Seriously?? Ok then.

Getting to San Diego, I'm reminded why riding east of the cascades (very cold but more dry) was preferable. There are several days of 30-45°F (0-10°C) and heavy rain. So difficult to function in this weather. Impossible to stay dry, impossible to get dry. 

I even made a real beginner's mistake - wet toilet paper!

Trying to keep the socks dry with chip bags. The socks got wet, but I think this is still warmer because there's less evaporative cooling.

But there is much beauty as well. I love the natural stones used in this jeep track.

Some nice folks let me stay in their camping spot next to their RV. They gave me food and warmth and company. Here is a Ritz Cracker with cream cheese, shrimp, and cocktail sauce. It's like a glamorous serving suggestion in real life. 

6 days of riding later at the UPS facility:
"Bad news, your package is at a different location." 

Oh no please don't say it went to Borrego Springs, where I just was. 

Luckily no. The employee gave me the address of a different UPS facility in San Diego.

San Diego urban biking.

But I need to hurry. The other facility closes at 7pm. And if I don't pick it up today, it will be returned to sender!!

2 hours of rainy urban biking later and I arrive at the other UPS facility. The lights are off. The door is locked. I call them on the phone and I get an answer! They tell me to come around the side of the building where the loading bay is. How can this possiblly be correct??! But it is! And I finally get my new tires!! Hurray!

Where I finally received the parcel. Sign reads "NOT A PEDESTRIAN ENTRANCE".

In San Diego, succulents grew like weeds. Here it look like someone fed their little windowsill succulent too much red meat.

Installing tires at a gas station.

Someone at the gas station gave me food!

Tall traffic button is easier for the horse to press with its nose. 

Leaving San Diego I visited the Olympic Training center. 

I watched people playing a ball sport I'm not familiar with. Maybe field hockey? But you needn't be familiar with the task to appreciate masterful movement. It was apparent from their grace and precision that they'd spent many hours hitting that ball with that stick. 

Next, to Mexico.

Comments

  1. I’m gonna feed my succulents some meat and see what happens!
    Sometime ask Paul for his story of brake pads in Arkansas. It is the same genre as the tires. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chip bags to the rescue :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masterful adaptation skills Buddy. Keep the rubber side down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silvan, glad to see you are making your way! I met you moments before (or after) you took the picture leaving Borrego/the desert, going up the jeep trail. We were in my silver 4 door Toyota Tundra and gave you that purple gatorade! Great chatting with you for a few minutes. Keep pushing hard brotha and good luck on the rest of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Gatorade, I remember! That road was spectacular.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts