Visiting my friend and the last days to the coast

At my friend Travis's house in North Carolina.

Travis's aunt straining a crayfish boil. 

Enjoying dinner with Travis's extended family.

The last four days were a food desert. Google maps showed several grocery stores along my route. These ended up being what I call a convenience store. They sold soft drinks, tobacco, alcohol, candy, chip-snacks and lottery tickets. No fresh food. I wonder if local people feed primarily from these stores, or drive to larger cities for fresh options. 

Something that happened outside one of these stores:

Before I went inside, a drunk man approached me. I chatted with him for a moment, and he told me he walked 20 miles today. It sounds like he walks back and forth all day, every day, between this and the neighboring towns. In an effort to prevent him or someone else from stealing my stuff, I offered him a granola bar, and was about to ask him to watch my stuff. Just then, the store clerk ran outside, confronted the man, and pushed him to the ground, yelling at him to leave and never come back, and threatening homicide. He left, granola bar in hand, yelling profane insults.

Morning of the penultimate day.

The last 30 miles of biking to VA Beach was a slow trek through the suburban auto-scape. Above is an example of the roads I had to navigate. Zoom in and you'll cound seven lanes just on my side of the road. 

At Virginia Beach.

Complete route.

I'll drive back to Oregon with my friend Travis. Curtis and I plan on leaving from Oregon in mid-November and going...south. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts