The viscious dogs of Kentucky

Dogs
The first Kentucky resident I talked to about dogs told me that it really gets bad in Virginia. 

Here is a dog in Kentucky. Pretty similar to other dogs I've seen. This one was named Champagne. It was on a leash, so I was able to escape without using the pepper spray. 

Another Kentucky dog. Another day without using the pepper spray.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a case of worse-in-the-next-town-over. I've encountered plenty of dogs in Kentucky so far. Most of them bark, some of them chase. Some of the ones who chase are old and clumsy and stumble in the ditch. If I make it to the Atlantic without a bad dog encounter, maybe I just got lucky. Perhaps a single bad dog encounter would give me a "Kentucky dogs are mean" sort of outlook. But it hasn't happened yet.



This convenience store worker (owner?) seemed pretty hyped about my bike trip. He gave me fried chicken, fried chicken liver, and ice cream for free.

Gifted food. 

Warm Showers hosts had a whole little bunkhouse where they put up cyclists. Seeing a community like Warm Showers thrive makes me feel optimistic about things. I hope to host people through the platform someday. 

First National Park of the trip. I hadn't planned on going here, but a friend pointed out that it was a long my route.

Park entrance.

National Parks are funny because some areas are deserted, and other areas are overrun with tourists like me. It's like a tourism machine. Collect a fee, let them see the sights, buy a sweatshirt, get a stamp, and move on.

Tourist conga-line. 

I felt an sudden and significant temperature drop.

Inside this cave it felt beautiful and peaceful. Worth the $8 if you're in central Kentucky already.

A bat!

Cave exit.

I am apprehensive about busy National Parks, but glad I went. 



This tornado safe room said it could withstand 250 MPH gusts. Seems like it could be a pretty good place to camp in a storm. 

All these Kentucky backroads have good pavement.

Route

Route through Illinois and Kentucky so far.

That short day near the Missouri/Illinois border was when I was dealing with a poison oak rash. I'm still pretty itchy, but I've been sleeping better.

I'm trying to get to Winston-Salem by the morning of the 9th, to meet a friend. This is an achievable but ambitious timeline for me.

Comments

  1. Loving this trip and the pictures. Hope you make the meetup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont die to the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see your ambitious success! What a strong person, love your positivity! Great to see the photos! From Pamela.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts