48 hours in Illinois, equipment failure in Kentucky.

This week four years ago I had just finished biking across North America the first time, see above. I hardly remember what it really felt like at the time. All I have are some photos and a little writing to try and decipher what the experience was actually like.

Here is a picture right before I crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois a few days ago. Feels good to pass a big landmark on an impressive bridge like this. Picture taken here

Illinois 
Below is some media from the southern tip of Illinois. I biked along this route from bikepacking.com.

Swimming snake. Don't know what kind. It looked at home in the water

Father son duo on fast looking road bikes and minimal equipment we're headed from Chicago to New Orleans. The convenience store behind us, and the local folks hanging around outside had a really good vibe. It felt special.

Long, echoing tunnel along the rail trail. I like how well centered that tree is above the arch.

In total I spent about 48 hours in Illinois. 

Broken Phone

Imagine it's a selfie

This is where I would have liked to show the "Welcome to Kentucky, Unbridled Spirit" selfie. Unfortunately, my phone completely broke about 30 minutes into "The Bluegrass State", so the photo is lost. The screen turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I don't know why this happened. Suddenly without access to the world's knowledge, I felt paradoxically relieved. I was in no danger, and I didn't really need it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could get all the way to VA Beach with no phone.

My mental map

I was in a tangle of backroads, so I biked away from the sun until I hit Big road. Then biked north. This was effective. 

In my life, I've come pretty close to getting rid of my smartphone altogether. There are three things I'm not ready to give up:
1. Making plans with people I want to meet up with in real life.
2. Listening to music.
3. Navigation. 

Although, I could get to the Atlantic Ocean with no phone, it would involve using a paper map, which simply doesn't show the small roads on which I'd like to ride. I decided to buy a new smartphone for $80 at Walmart. That's what I'm using right now. It's slow but functional. 

Anticipating Kentucky
Some things I've heard about Kentucky from people in other states:
"There are mean dogs"
"There are mean people"
"The pepper spray is for dogs, I've used it twice"
"Yeah it's for the dogs, I had to use it once"
"Very poor"
"Moonshine, methamphetamine, marijuana"
"A strong sense of individualism"
"I've heard they let the dog chase you and make a game out of it"

Well, I bought some pepper spray. 

Comments

  1. I know a midwife from Kentucky and she is lovely but she also does not vibe with Kentucky. Pepper spray would be nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I drove East to West way before GPS I had a similar but flipped mental map to get from Denver to California. Maybe also dog treats?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts