Badlands NP and Beyond

45 miles beyond Rapid City, I found a flat spot for my tent (very easy) in the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands, and set up camp. As pork chops sizzled in my pan, I watched two thunderstorms flash threateningly in the distance. One to my north and one south. The wind picked up, so I used all of my tent stakes. That was the right move, because around midnight, one of the thunderstorms rolled right on top of me, screaming through my tent and blowing rain under the rain fly. It moved along by 0130 when I finally got some sleep.

Yesterday, I rode through all of northern Badlands National Park. It was really cool, almost other worldly, and I wished I could have explored more on foot.

Now, I plan to cut out some big miles to get through North and South Dakota agricultural land.

Writing this from the Badlands Trading Post.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts