Eastern South Dakota Update...With Pictures!

This post will include an update starting from the last time I posted to my blog, followed by a collection of photos since the last time I visited a public library.



Other Cyclists

I last updated this blog on July 26th. Later that day in Philip, SD, I encountered the first tour cyclists I'd seen in about 1000 miles. Needless to say, I was excited to meet Tommy and Joe Crosby. The father, Joe, insisted on buying me a delicious bagel at the cafe where we met, and we spent the next hour or so sharing stories. Unfortunately, we were headed in opposite directions, so I honked my horn goodbye and continued east.

Photo taken by the cafe barista. She also gave me three nutrition bars for free. Thank you! Left to right: Me; Tommy Crosby; Joe Crosby. Tommy had recently ridden from Colorado all the way to the tip of South America! Check out his Instagram @crosby.tommy

Crossing the Missouri

The next day, I crossed the Missouri River at Pierre, SD, the state capitol, and entered the Central Time Zone! I also experienced my first all you can eat buffet at The Pizza Ranch. It wasn't the best food I've ever had, but it was only $10.75 and I ate a lot. That night I camped at a State Game Area.

Entering CT.

Even More Generosity

On the 29th, I rolled into a Willow Lake, SD gas station convenience store in the late afternoon. I used the bathroom, bought a bag of 14 Reese's Pieces Peanut Butter Cups, and sat down to charge my phone. I shared my story with the cashier, Harley, and he offered to host me for the night! Thank you to Harley, Kelsey, and their delightful 10-month-old daughter, Cassidy for the shower, bed and laundry service! I left early the next morning.


Now I'm at the Grant County Public Library in Milbank, SD. Last night I stayed in a very nice city park and enjoyed a true feast of a dinner. Today, I'll enter Minnesota.

The first course of last night's dinner.



Photos from earlier...


 Roadkill 1
 Roadkill 2
 Roadkill 3
 Roadkill 4
Roadkill 5


I requested at tour of this Missile Alert Facility and was shut down pretty hard.


This is the cover band I mentioned in an earlier post.


"The FLAT EARTH"


Carnage in Grass Range, MT.


This day was brutal. 90ish miles upwind and two flats. Amazing sky though.


Big ol' rattle snake.


The cool critters come out at night.


 Area 51?


Not area 51, just a thunder storm in Baker, MT.


This place had been out of business for 7 years, but I was still able to use their bathroom. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any gas for my stove. Camp Crook, SD.


Black Hills NF was the land of the roadside attraction. I must have passed 12 signs for the Wonderland Cave, but I never did go inside.

 Being in an actual forest was a huge relief. The Black Hills NF was a great ride.


 No regrets about going to Mt. Rushmore, but it's definitely somewhat overrated. Mt. Rushmore.


  The Black Hill National Forest environment.


If you look closely you can see that it's a double rainbow.

 Storm in the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands, before entering Badlands NP.

Lightning selfie.

Lightning and stars in the same shot!

The single picture I took in Badlands National Park, SD.



That's all for the time being! Thanks for checking my blog, I'll try and update more frequently, but I've recently just been going through a lot of repetitive agricultural land. FYI I probably won't be going through North Dakota.







Comments

  1. Glad to get the update! I’m very much wishing you had brought an aunt (me) along for the ride. Keep pedaling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving the blog and photos. lightning and stars in one photo is seriously cool. what a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent update, glad you are still enjoying it. Just back from fishing in Canada, will you be heading North into Canada ? Any word on Elijah joining you ? Keep up the posts and the rubber side down. Love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts